Monday, April 25, 2011

Team City Cycle Races the Santa Cruz Crit


On Sunday April 17th, our two very own City Cycle racers Ryan Moore and Patrick Ruggles, took to the streets to race the Santa Cruz Classic Criterium. Both did very well and have provided us with reports so you can re-live all the action. Look for them and other City Cycle racers in our new team kits soon! Great racing guys!

From Ryan:

Race Conditions: 11:00am Sunday April 17th temp: 65 cloud cover wind: n/a
Cat 5 (For the last time!!!)

I wanted to make a big impression on the USA cycling officials for this race because I planned on petitioning for an upgrade to Cat 4. After lap 1 I jumped out in front and began to push the pace. With two laps out in front I found myself over 45 seconds ahead of the peloton with three other riders. I kept the pace high for the next 5 laps or so, working well with my other breakaway compatriots. With 3 laps to go we were down to just three riders total. I began to suspect that the other two riders in the my group were becoming fatigued. With 2 laps to go I allowed our pace to calm down a bit knowing that the we were well out of reach of the peloton by now, and to allow myself to recover for my big push I was planning for the last lap. The course had a decent climb that lead to a false flat before reaching the straightaway at the finish line. I knew this was where I could win. On the final climb I jumped out of the saddle and punched it up the hill, accelerating up it and in to my sprint, leaving the other two riders well behind me and winning by several bike lengths. After the race my upgrade request was approved. With a little luck I hope to reach Cat 3 by September.

From Patrick:

Race conditions: 10:00 sun April 17 Temps 63-65 cloud cover, wind N/A.
Cat 4 35+

I sat in the group mid pack for much of the first 8 laps. There were no break away attempts because the front was controlled by two teams with multiple riders in the field. At 4 laps to go, I felt fully recovered as I entered the back side of the course before the uphill section towards the finish straight and knew that I would be able to be a factor in the finale. I had to drift back in the last 3 laps and would re position myself in the front with a short effort on the back side of the course. A block from the finish line there was a crash 3 riders in back of me as we approached the bell lap. I heard to “keep it straight” twice in succession and then the sound of ruining bikes followed with a pronounced snap as I passed the official while he was ringing the bell. Position is so critical in this race and I have blown a good spot before so I was extra aggressive going into the final turns. After the downhill I pulled in about 12 back and sat for a second and saw that the best spot that would give me inside position in the last 3 right turns and passed on the outside- slotted in 4th wheel going into the to the final turn with 200 meters to the line. Drafting 3rd wheel for along as I could to try to pass at the line but he proved to be two pedals stroked better than I and the win was 4 lengths ahead. First place was first out of the last turn we all finished in the order we left the turn. It also was his first win. Two team mates came up with second and third. I was fourth. I was greatly pleased with the result after not racing a crit in over a year and hope I can go this well at Cat’s Hill in May but next stop will be Wente Road Rac
e.


No comments:

Post a Comment